6:22 PMPosted by Decork
Using a single pattern -- even a big, bold floral such as this one on the walls and bed skirts -- can envelop a room without being too obtrusive. Florals team up with checks and with other patterns as long as each is selected in a different scale.
- Gingham sheets look great paired with crisp white coverlets.
- A black iron bed frame keeps the room from looking too frilly.
- Fall in love with a multihued floral fabric for a built-in color scheme.
- Butterfly designs on needlepoint pillows bring in a related theme.
Arched windows, curlicue furniture, and a swirled Oriental rug give this room plenty of interest. But the real stars of the show are the upholstered walls, which are covered in deep-cream silk fabric, tufted into harlequin diamonds and accented with cotton ribbons and decorative gold nailheads.
- Silver throw pillows and a crystal chandelier add sheen and elegance.
- Tasseled trim elongates the panels' silhouettes.
- A neutral, monochromatic color scheme keeps the room from looking too overdone.
- Goblet-pleated striped silk panels mounted on curved boards add an elegant note.
A vaulted ceiling adds visual appeal, but it can make a room less inviting. In this voluminous space, a low-slung bed serves as an anchor. A grid of upholstered squares above the bed and long curtain panels bring the space into scale, while earth-tone accessories add warmth.
- A rattan chair, fringed pillows, and an area rug add texture to the room.
- Patchwork curtain panels with pinch pleats soften the windows.
- Plywood squares upholstered in linen make the tall room feel more intimate.
- Natural, earth-friendly colors and materials bring the outdoors in.
An abundance of natural light, which tumbles in from windows gracing three sides of the room, helps this master bedroom feel larger than its actual footprint. White walls and a largely neutral color palette also add to the voluminous feeling.
- Dark furnishings add drama against the bright and neutral backdrop.
- The original moldings and chandelier preserve the room's character.
- A bench at the foot of the bed is a soft spot to put on shoes or read.
- Shutters on the window provide privacy without blocking out light.
A wall of draperies calls attention to the focal-point bed with an extra-high headboard, plump pillows, and striking geometric throw. Nearby, matching contemporary lamps sit atop similar, yet different, night tables in dark wood.
- Draperies fall from the ceiling, adding to the sense of height.
- Storage for extra bedding is supplied by an oversize wicker trunk.
- A Plexiglass table at the end of the bed also serves as a bench.
Pale yellow walls set off spring green valances and pillows in this master suite. The windows on either side of the bed are small, but have been given a larger scale with draperies of cotton damask that extend on the sides.
- The striped bed skirt includes cream, yellow, and green.
- Non-matching nightstands flank the bed.
- A box-pleated valance tops each window.
- An end-of-the-bed bench can roll away for use elsewhere in the room.
Soft striped wallpaper, nature-inspired fabrics, and a medley of stained and painted wood finishes give this bedroom its European style. In keeping with the lush yet tailored aesthetic, draperies made of a sumptuous peony-and-bird print are topped with painted pelmets.
- A custom wood headboard has been painted and distressed to look old.
- Warm and friendly colors make the room elegant but not stuffy.
- Two of the room's pelmets are antiques; a third was fabricated to match.
- A crisp white coverlet and duvet cover lend a serene, casual feel.
Rich shades of gold and red create a warm, upscale look in this master suite. A supple leather headboard, linen Roman shades, layers of soft bedding, and a pair of upholstered slipper chairs add to the look of luxury.
- Accessories come alive against monochromatic walls, floor, and furniture.
- A single color unifies the otherwise unrelated mix of patterns.
- Roman shades raise to let in lots of light or lower for maximum privacy.
- A pair of upholstered footstools are a modern touch at the foot of the bed.